Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Invincible - ACE Train Movie Review

Vince Papale was a 30-year-old substitute teacher and part-time bartender who had never even played college football. When Coach Vermeil made the unprecedented announcement that he would be holding open tryouts for the Philadelphia Eagles, Papale would go against incredible odds to live the dream and experience every fan's biggest fantasy. With a position on the Eagles secured and a new life path forged out of little more than determination and persistence, Papale takes to the field to experience the life-altering rush of running yards as a stadium full of cheering fans burst from their seats to support the hometown hero who proved it's never too late to take control of your own destiny.

This was a solid film and had several things going for it that I consider positive. It was based on a true story, had a hot supporting actress, revolved around football, was fast-paced, well-acted and told an inspirational and relevant story. Mark Wahlberg did a great job playing Vince Papale and really took a beating during filming since he did most of his own stunts. He really carried the film and seemed to show as much heart as the guy he was playing. The special features contained a lot of game footage and interviews with the real man this story was based on, which always interests me as I like to know how much of the movie is true and accurate - very close. Even though I now know how it ends, I wouldn't mind watching it again as it really was entertaining and inspirational.

Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: Yes
Starring: Mark Wahlberg, Greg Kinnear, Elizabeth Banks


I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: