Monday, May 07, 2007

Superman Returns - ACE Train Movie Review

Some time has passed since the events of Superman II and the world has gotten used to life without Superman ever since his puzzling disappearance years earlier. Upon his return, he finds a Metropolis that doesn't need him anymore, while Lois Lane has moved on with another young suitor, Richard White, in the meantime. As the hero begins to tackle the fact that life on Earth has continued without him, he is forced to face his old arch-nemesis Lex Luthor and restore the life that was once his.

This film didn't capture my imagination like the first two Superman movies did. I'm not sure if I'm just getting older or if this film wasn't as good as the Christopher Reeve versions, but it certainly wasn't as exciting. The first half was very slow and picked up toward the end, but not enough to be called "action packed." Brandon Routh did a good job portraying the man of steel and Kate Bosworth was a passable Lois Lane, but I didn't particularly buy Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor - he wasn't sinister enough. Of course, the ending left open the possibility of another Superman film, but if they do make another one, I sure hope they do a little more with the special effects and add a bit more action. Overall, I had higher hopes for this one, but ended up being disappointed.

Rating: 2.5 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Brandon Routh, Kate Bosworth, Kevin Spacey


I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: