Sunday, August 26, 2007

I Think I Love My Wife - Movie Review

Richard Cooper is a high-powered investment banker with a beautiful wife and two wonderful children. Though on the surface it would appear that Richard could want nothing more out of life, his thoughts always seem to drift toward sex. Richard's daily life has gradually devolved into a blur of mind-numbing banality, and these days sexual fantasy has become his sole means of escaping the constant pressures of work and fatherhood. Though Richard never had any real intention of cheating on his faithful but preoccupied wife Brenda, a chance run-in with his old friend Nikki finds his steely resolve fast turning flimsy. It's not long before the smitten Richard and the smoldering Nikki are meeting for clandestine lunches, and temptation begins to turn Richard's once-predictable life upside down. As his uncontrollable fantasies begin to lead him down the dangerous path of infidelity, the man who once kept his libido safely in check finds it increasingly difficult to refrain from acting on his impulses.

Chris Rock is a funny guy and I love his stand-up comedy routines (Bigger and Blacker is classic). That being said, he should stick to stand-up. Either that or he should get better roles in better films. Yes, Rock is funny in this film and yes, I laughed out loud at certain parts, but overall, it was a dud. The plot was boring, predictable and not very imaginative. The acting was not bad, but the characters weren't interesting. I could recognize some of Rock's stand-up material being used as part of the dialog, but it wasn't as good in movie form - better on stage. Overall, there's nothing about this movie that would make me want to see it again and I would really only recommend it to Chris Rock fans who would see it anyway.

Rating: 2 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Chris Rock, Kerry Washington, Gina Torres


The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: