Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Just Friends - Movie Review

In high school, Chris Brander was an overweight, maladroit teen who spent every waking moment with his co-ed pal Jamie Palamino. On the verge of graduation, Chris is humiliated when his yearbook confession to Jamie - that he wants to be more than "just friends" - is read aloud. Jamie is flattered, but rebuffs his advances, and Chris spends the next decade transforming himself into a buff, callous ladies' man. Assigned by his boss to sign his pop star ex-girlfriend Samantha James, Chris finds himself stranded in New Jersey for the holidays, where he promptly sets out to find Jamie. But winning back the love of his life proves difficult, as Chris not only has to get back in touch with the sensitive teen he once was, but also fend off competition from another former geek, the guitar-playing Dusty.

This movie was both dumb and hilarious at the same time. Some of the situations were just so over the top that you couldn't help but laugh. Ryan Reynolds plays the same character that he seems to play in every movie, so I don't give it points for originality. I wouldn't rush right out to watch it, but it's good for a few laughs if you're in a silly mood.

Rating: 2.5 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Ryan Reynolds, Amy Smart, Anna Faris

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a hard time saying this was a good movie, but on the other hand, I laughed a lot during this film.

From the beginning, you knew what was going to happen and the originality ranked a zero. The different situations, however, were somewhat original, and the dialogue between the various characters was funny.

Rating: 3 of 5, just because I had some good giggles throughout this flick.