Saturday, May 27, 2006

What the "Bleep" Do We Know? - Movie Review

Part narrative, part documentary, and part animation, What the #$*! Do We Know?! was filmed with the intent of expressing the neurological processes and so called "quantum uncertainty" of life. Marlee Matlin stars as Amanda, whose uninspired daily routine is abruptly altered into a chaotic, Alice in Wonderland-style reality, complete with quirky characters and wildly different perspectives on life. As Amanda falls deeper into the experience, she's forced to drastically reconsider her perceptions of interpersonal relationships, men, and the fundamental principles of life. What the #$*! Do We Know?! is supplemented by a host of mystics and scientists, who are interviewed intermittently throughout the film for their wisdom and knowledge concerning religion, science, the thin line between them, and the consequences of blurring that line.

This film was a coupling of philosophy and science. I had a little background with the science topics so I wasn't completely lost, but for the uninitiated, this film could be very overwhelming and confusing. The topic is so mindboggling that I wouldn't recommend it for anyone with a closed mind or anyone who has trouble imagining abstract concepts. I'll be honest and say that I probably need to watch it one more time to really "get" it. Overall, I liked the fact that it made you really use your mind and was different than anything I have ever seen.

Rating: 3 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Marlee Matlin, Elaine Hendrix, John Ross Bowie

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: