Monday, October 23, 2006

The Break-Up - ACE Train Movie Review

The future once looked promising for thirtysomething couple Brooke and Gary, but lately it seems like a series of increasingly petty and intolerable squabbles have snuffed any semblance of romance in their relationship. Their confrontation endlessly fueled by mean-spirited suggestions of revenge tactics from friends and family and their stubborn refusal to budge resulting in an excruciating stalemate, Brooke and Gary ultimately decide to spitefully stick it out as hostile roommates until the weaker party eventually admits defeat. As the competition to drive one another out grows increasingly intense and outrageous, however, Brooke eventually comes to the realization that she's not fighting for possession of the condominium as much as she is fighting to salvage her relationship with the man she once viewed as the love of her life.

Based on the previews I saw of this film, I was expecting something funny. Instead, it was more dramatic and sad than light and humorous. Jennifer Aniston did a pretty good job, but Vince Vaughn seemed a bit awkward and the chemistry between the two definitely wasn't magic. This could have been a hilarious movie, but they decided to go the "emotional" route which makes comedy nearly impossible. The ending left me with a bad taste in my mouth, but I suppose it could have been worse (like the alternate ending they had in the special features section). If you still want to watch this film, just know that you're not going to see a comedy and you won't be disappointed like I was.

Rating: 2.5 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Vince Vaughn, Jennifer Aniston, Joey Lauren Adams, Jon Favreau

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: