Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The Omen - ACE Train Movie Review

Robert and Katherine Thorn were as loving parents as any young boy could ask for, but as fate would have it, their new son Damien is far from the typical child. Now, as the mysterious boy's growth begins to share frightening parallels with the Biblical passages detailing the rise of the Antichrist, and the lives of all who seek to reveal his true nature are cut gruesomely short, Robert and Katherine are forced to face the horrifying prospect that their child has been sent from Satan to hasten the fall of modern civilization, and that there is little they can do to curb his prophesied path of ultimate destruction.

This was a well made film and kept my interest throughout. While the underlying theme was demonic and supernatural, the majority of the action was surprisingly well grounded and could be explained by secular means. Some of the scenes actually reminded me of the movie Final Destination in that the deaths that occurred could be explained as an unfortunate series of events (or the workings of a higher power). Anyway, it was chilling and provided enough startling moments to be a pretty good horror flick. The part I really didn't like was the ending - it kept the door open for a sequel, which seemed blatant and cheezy.

Rating: 3 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Liev Schreiber, Julia Stiles, Mia Farrow

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: