Thursday, June 07, 2007

Freedom Writers - Movie Review

Her students had been written off, and her chances of succeeding scoffed at, but Erin Gruwell wasn't about to go down without a fight. Long Beach is a place where a new war is waged with each passing day, and when the hardened students who walk those dangerous hallways sense an outsider attempting to understand their plight, their cynical resentment threatens to keep a deadly cycle in motion. Despite the initially hostile reaction she receives in the classroom, Gruwell uses the writings of Anne Frank to teach her students not only the basis of the English language, but compassion and tolerance as well. Later, when the time comes to tell their own tales in a project specially designed to explore the daily violence that the majority of students have grown numb to, the barriers that had once stood so strong gradually begin to crumble.

Wow, this was a gripping and amazing film. It reminded me of Dangerous Minds which I thoroughly enjoyed as well. Of course, I'm a sucker for true stories and this one is not only inspirational, but also just plain engaging. The time seemed to go by so fast and it's one of those stories that I now want to read more about as well as read Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl. The cast of actors all did a great job and were completely believable in their roles. Hilary Swank has been in some great films and this one just adds to her already impressive repertoire. It's definitely worth a look.

Rating: 4 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: Yes
Starring: Hilary Swank, Patrick Dempsey, Scott Glenn


I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: