Thursday, June 28, 2007

Nanny McPhee - Movie Review

Near the dawn of the twentieth century, Mr. Brown is a widower who must tend to his business as an undertaker while looking after his brood of seven children. Brown's offspring are a singularly ill-mannered lot who have managed to drive away 17 different nannies when their father arranges for one Nanny McPhee to help out with the children. McPhee is an strange looking woman with a large nose, protruding teeth, and pock-marked skin, but it isn't long before the kids realize she has magical powers and isn't afraid to use them to help keep them in line. While the children aren't taken with McPhee's insistence on such things as saying "please" and listening to their elders, it becomes clear everyone has bigger things to worry about. Aunt Adelaide has insisted that if Mr. Brown cannot find a new wife within a month, she'll take custody of one of the children and cut off Brown's inheritance, and while Brown and the widow Mrs. Quickly seem fond of one another, his ineptitude in courtship seems to insure he'll never get her to the altar.

This was definitely a kids movie that I'm not sure I'd want to let my kids see for fear they would try some of the antics they saw on film. The kids in the film are mischievous and just plain rude in the beginning. As the film wears on and Nanny McPhee works her magic, they become more descent. That's the scary part of the movie - it took actual magic to change the kids behavior. Without a magic cane, I don't think I'd want to put those ideas in my kids heads. Emma Thompson did a great job playing the lead role and the kids were perfect for their parts. Colin Firth did an OK job, but nothing special. Overall, I wasn't very impressed and was a little bored. Not that it was a bad film, just not my cup of tea.

Rating: 2.5 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Emma Thompson, Colin Firth, Angela Lansbury, Kelly MacDonald


The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: