Sunday, July 08, 2007

Catch and Release - Movie Review

Gray was a beautiful woman who found the man of her dreams in Grady Douglas, and was looking forward to spending the rest of her life with him until he suddenly died only a few days before they were to be married. With her wedding turned into an impromptu funeral, Grey is emotionally devastated but has to deal with the practicalities of her new life alone, including moving out of the house she shared with Grady. Short on cash and in need of emotional support, Grey moves in with two longtime friends, sloppy but philosophical Sam and well-meaning but tightly wound Dennis. Grey also finds herself often chatting with Fritz, Grady's best friend, through she's always regarded him as a sleazeball. As time passes, Grey discovers that Grady had a secret life he never shared with her - including a young son from a previous relationship - and as she tries to come to terms with the past of her former fiance, she struggles to put her new life on track, and finds herself reevaluating her long-held feelings about Fritz.

I don't know how this film can be categorized as a romantic comedy. Any movie that starts off with the death of someone about to get married doesn't strike me as romantic or funny. To say this film was odd would be an understatement. Of course, any movie where Kevin Smith makes an appearance is destined to be a little offbeat and this was no exception. Like I said, a woman's fiance dies to start the movie, then a couple of his friends make a pass at the mourning female and the story progresses from there. If it was funny, it was certainly a dark comedy, but I didn't find myself laughing much. Mostly, it was dark and a little depressing to watch a distraught widow go on the rebound. The acting was fine and I think it was really the plot I didn't like - slow and boring.

Rating: 2 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Jennifer Garner, Timothy Olyphant, Sam Jaeger, Kevin Smith


The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: