Saturday, July 14, 2007

School for Scoundrels - Movie Review

Roger, a beleaguered New York City meter maid, is plagued by anxiety and low self-esteem. In order to overcome his feelings of inadequacy, Roger enrolls in a top-secret confidence-building class taught by the suavely underhanded Dr. P. Aided by his assistant, Lesher, Dr. P uses unorthodox, often dangerous methods, but he guarantees results: Employ his techniques and you will unleash your inner lion. Surrounded by a band of misfit classmates, Roger's confidence grows and he makes his way to the head of the class, even finding the courage to ask out his longtime crush, Amanda. But Roger quickly discovers that star students have a way of catapulting Dr. P's competitive side into high gear. Soon enough, the teacher sets out to infiltrate and destroy Roger's personal and professional life. Nothing is off limits for Dr. P, not even the object of Roger's affection. In order to show Amanda Dr. P's true colors, Roger must rally his new friends and find a way to beat the master at his own game.

Yes, I thought this movie was going to be completely ridiculous and dumb. Yes, I still watched it. However, it really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Sure, it was silly (what else would you expect from a movie starring Napoleon Dynamite), but was also pretty entertaining. It was a remake of a movie from 1960, so it wasn't exactly original, but that didn't make much difference to me. I thought it was well done for its intended objective - to amuse. I'm not a big fan of the main characters, but Billy Bob Thornton and Jon Heder weren't as annoying as I find them in their other work. The whole cast seemed to work well together and play off each other. I'm sure they had a blast filming this movie and it showed. Don't expect a classic, but I wouldn't skip over this one based on your initial perceptions - you might be pleasantly surprised.

Rating: 3 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Billy Bob Thornton, Jon Heder, Jacinda Barrett, Michael Clarke Duncan, Luis Guzman, Ben Stiller


The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: