Monday, December 12, 2005

War of the Worlds - ACE Train Movie Review

A divorced, dead-beat dad from New Jersey gets his kids from his ex-wife for a typical weekend of lounging around. The weekend turns out to be anything but ordinary starting with a series of lightning storms that hit the neighborhood and knock out all power. Strange spacecraft emerge from the points where the lightning struck and start to attack and annihilate everything in their path. The dad is tasked with trying to survive and protect his two kids from the all-out alien invasion.

This is a good film for the action lover since it's pretty much non-stop from beginning to end. The look and mannerisms of the aliens were incredibly original as was their mode of transport - no UFOs in this film. Tom Cruise took a break from preaching Scientology and was actually very good in this film as was Dakota Fanning. I was drawn in to the fascinating plot, but was a little disappointed at the ending; both the seemingly simple way that the aliens were finally defeated and who ended up surviving. Other than the sub-par end, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the film.

Rating: 3 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Tom Cruise, Dakota Fanning, Tim Robbins

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: