Monday, July 03, 2006

Cache (Hidden) - Movie Review

From the outside, Georges, Anne, and son Pierrot are the typical middle-class European family, but when a series of mysterious videotapes accompanied by morbid drawings reveal that someone has been monitoring their house, Georges begins to suspect that his past has come back to haunt him. It was during France's occupation of Algeria that Georges wronged a young Algerian boy named Majid, and as the enraged father and husband begins tracking down his former friend, the line between victim and predator becomes increasingly blurred.

Be forewarned - this is a French film with English subtitles. It started off oddly and just kept getting more strange as it went along. A few of my questions were answered along the way, but the film ended without the biggest question being addressed. I logged onto the internet to see if there was an explanation somewhere, but the theories were all over the board. Basically, it seems the filmmaker intentionally left the ending unresolved so the viewer could reach their own conclusions. To me, that's a lazy way to make a film especially since all the theories I ran across can have holes poked in them which leads me to believe the filmmaker didn't really have a good way to end it, so he chose to leave it "open." This film should have stayed (hidden).

Rating: 2 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Daniel Auteuil, Juliette Binoche, Maurice Benichou

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: