Friday, January 27, 2006

Dark Water - ACE Train Movie Review

A single mother whose messy divorce and subsequent battle for the custody of her five-year-old daughter is taking a heavy toll on her emotional well-being. Ultimately, the mother and daughter are able to relocate to an apartment, which, despite its excessively dilapidated interior, seems to be an adequate location for beginning a new life. Before long, however, what appears to be the spirit of a young girl begins to haunt them. No stranger to mental illness, the wary young woman brushes the visions aside as part of the inherent stress of making the transition from housewife to working, single mom. As time goes by and the apparent haunting does not subside, the apartment's new residents are forced to examine the history of its former tenants.

When I picked this DVD up in the video store, I was drawn to the cover and synopsis on the back thinking it was going to be a scary movie. However, it was a very slow moving movie that was more creepy than scary. The acting was pretty good, but the plot was not well thought out and the ending (which explains why all of the strange things had been happening) was not satisfying and didn't answer all of my questions. For some movies, that's OK, but in this film, it just seemed sloppy and amateurish.

Rating: 2 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Jennifer Connelly, John C. Reilly, Tim Roth

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: