Sunday, February 19, 2006

After the Sunset - Movie Review

Max Burdett is a master jewel thief who, with the help of his accomplice and lover Lola Cirillo, has stolen two of the three Napoleon diamonds, among the most valuable gems on Earth. Stanley Lloyd is an FBI agent who has been on Burdett's trail for years and is especially eager to bring him to justice after a humiliating incident in which Max swiped one of the Napoleons out from under Stanley's nose. But word has it that Max and Lola have abandoned their lives of crime, and they've taken up residence on an idyllic island in the Bahamas. Lloyd is not convinced they're out of the game for good, and when he learns that the third Napoleon diamond will be on display aboard a cruise ship headed in Max's direction, Lloyd vows to catch Max and Lola red handed.

This film is not what I expected it to be which probably affected my rating. I expected to see a lot of action, explosions and intense dramatic standoffs. What I got was a comedy that was more silly than clever and very little intensity since you could predict the plot "twists" well before they happened. It wasn't all bad as there were some very funny scenes between Pierce Brosnan and Woody Harrelson. The fact that Salma Hayek spent most of the film in very little clothing also contributed to my enjoyment of the movie. Overall, it's worth watching once if you have nothing better to watch, but don't expect a great flick, just a good one.

Rating: 3 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Pierce Brosnan, Salma Hayek, Woody Harrelson, Don Cheadle

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: