Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Hustle & Flow - ACE Train Movie Review

Djay is a low-level pimp and drug dealer who scraped together a living in the ghettos of Memphis, TN. Djay has always had a gift for spinning stories, and after picking up a cheap keyboard, he begins picking out beats to go along with his rhymes. After bumping into an old high-school buddy who works in gospel music, Key, Djay decided to take the plunge and remake himself as a rapper. With the technical know-how of Key, Djay begins turning his way with words and his first-hand knowledge of the street life into music. When local boy-turned-nationwide hip-hop star Skinny Black comes to town, he sees an opportunity to put his demo in the hands of someone who can bring his music to the masses, though it turns out to be far more difficult than he expected.

I wasn't very interested in the plot of this film. It didn't say that it was based on a true story, but I'm sure there are many true stories similar to this one - it would have been more interesting as a documentary. In the beginning, I found it hard to understand the characters as they mumbled their lines, but I must have gotten used to it as the movie went on. It also got old listening to everyone say nigga this and nigga that, but I suppose that was necessary to keep it real :-) I will say that Terrence Howard's performance was amazing - especially knowing how he talks and acts normally. He truly became a ghetto living, rappin' pimp which seems to be the farthest thing from his reality - great acting. I only wanted to watch it because Terrence Howard was nominated for an Oscar for his performance - now I know why.

Rating: 3 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Terrence Howard, Anthony Anderson, Isaac Hayes, Ludacris

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: