Saturday, February 18, 2006

Waiting - Movie Review

Dean and Monty are two longtime friends who work as waiters as Shenanigan's, a "fun" chain restaurant. Both have been working at the restaurant since they graduated from high school; it's only recently occurred to Dean that he has nothing to show for the last four years of his life but a community college diploma and his name tag from work, and he's developed a sudden urgency to make something of himself. Monty, on the other hand, is more interested in making time with the women on the wait staff at work than accomplishing anything. Over the course of an evening at Shenanigan's, Dean and Monty confront obnoxious customers and train a timid new employee while dealing with the wildly eccentric chef , control-freak manager and a kitchen full of crazed cooks, prep workers and dish washers.

After working as a waiter throughout college, I was very interested in watching this comedy about life in a restaurant. My excitement was quickly diminished within the first 5 minutes as this film started off dumb and only got mildly funnier as it went on. I laughed at, and could relate to, a few of the scenarios which is the reason I gave it 2 stars instead of 1. Mostly, this is a complete waste of time to watch, even if you have worked in restaurants. The type of comedy in this movie is only funny if you're drunk, stoned and tired.

Rating: 2 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Ryan Reynolds, Justin Long, Luis Guzman

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: