Wednesday, August 23, 2006

About Schmidt - ACE Train Movie Review

Schmidt has settled into a dormant life. He has an unfulfilling marriage to Helen, and conspires to spend as much time away from her as possible. Schmidt's daughter Jeannie is engaged to Randall Hertzel, a man Schmidt believes is entirely unworthy of his daughter. When Helen unexpectedly dies, Warren is adrift until he discovers old love letters sent to his wife from his best friend. This inspires Warren to make a valiant effort to stop his daughter's wedding. His plans start to go awry when he meets Randall's extroverted mother, Roberta.

This is a dark comedy that is much more dark than comedic. It was a very slow moving film with not a lot to keep me interested. The best part was Schmidt's letters to his African "foster child" Ndugu. Most of it was actually a bit depressing and didn't make retirement look very appealing. Speaking of appealing (or not), I could have gone my whole life without seeing Kathy Bates naked, but unfortunately there is a particularly disturbing scene in which this occurs. In other words, skip it unless you would like to fall asleep with an image of Kathy Bates naked forever burned in your brain.

Rating: 2 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Jack Nicholson, Hope Davis, Kathy Bates

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: