Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Eight Crazy Nights - ACE Train Movie Review

Davey Stone is a twentysomething man with a short temper and a reputation for causing trouble who lives in the small New England town of Dukesberry. Davey has a particularly bad attitude about the holiday season, and on the first night of Hanukkah, he goes on a tear that lands him in front of a judge. The judge, who has dealt with Davey before, is prepared to send him to prison, but Whitey, an eccentric but kindly old man, persuades the judge to give him a chance to turn Davey into a more responsible citizen. Davey doesn't think much of Whitey's charitable nature, but when his trailer home burns down, he's forced to move in with Whitey and his perpetually nervous sister, Eleanore. Between Whitey and Eleanore's nonstop kvetching and the reappearance of his old girlfriend Jennifer, Davey is being driven to distraction by the Hanukkah season, but in time Whitey learns the truth about why Davey has such a problem with the Festival of Lights.

As I was watching this movie, I could picture how it was written - Adam Sandler sitting on the couch with Rob Schneider and Kevin Nealon, smoking pot and thinking of everything that would be "funny" to see on film. Since it was animated, anything was possible including a herd of deer helping push a car stuck in the snow, then laughing so hard at a joke that their bowels released everything in their colon. That's the type of "comedy" you should expect. Needless to say, I wasn't very impressed and didn't laugh very much. I should note that I'm usually a fan of Adam Sandler, but this movie just wasn't very funny.

Rating: 2 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: The voices of Adam Sandler, Kevin Nealon, Rob Schneider



I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: