Thursday, January 25, 2007

Saw III - Movie Review

Picking up directly where its predecessor left off, Saw III finds Jigsaw near death and fighting to stay alive for one final game. Determined to show his protege, Amanda, what it truly means to carry out his deadly game, the ailing Jigsaw instructs his apprentice to kidnap unsuspecting doctor Lynn Denlon in order to ensure that he survives long enough to see how his latest victim Jeff fares when faced with the prospect of imminent death. As Lynn and Jeff both struggle to beat the clock and carry out their tasks before Jigsaw draws his final breath, a much larger plan begins to emerge that shows just how cunning the legendary killer can truly be.

This is the goriest Saw yet. I must admit that in the first 15 minutes, I was questioning whether the writers had run out of clever ideas and gone for the shock and gore factor. However, after completing the film, I realized that everything happened for a reason and it all made perfect sense. That's the incredible thing about the people who make these films - they are thought through from beginning to end and little events that seem meaningless at first glance become connected as the film progresses. They definitely found new ways to torture people and managed to produce a multi-layered "game" that was only revealed in the last 15 minutes to knock your socks off. This is one of the very best series of films being produced right now. I hope they're not done yet, because the creators are so sick, twisted and clever - I can't wait to see what they come up with next.

Rating: 4 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: Yes
Starring: Tobin Bell, Shawnee Smith, Bahar Soomekh, Angus MacFadyen



I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: