Monday, January 01, 2007

A Scanner Darkly - Movie Review

With stratospheric concern over national security prompting paranoid government officials to begin spying on citizens, trust is a luxury and everyone is a suspected criminal until proven otherwise. Bob Arctor is a narcotics officer who is issued an order to spy on his friends and report back to headquarters. In addition to being a cop, though, Arctor is also an addict. His drug of choice is a ubiquitous street drug called Substance D, a drug known well for producing split personalities in its users.

This is one of the strangest movies I have ever seen. The style of animation used is completely original and that's the only reason I gave it a fairly decent rating. The story itself is odd to say the least and not really my cup of tea. It almost had a "Matrix" feel to it, but didn't hit the mark like The Matrix did. I was definitely more impressed by the animation than the plot and maybe it was a distraction, but I think it was a positive distraction if any. If you like government conspiracy stories and paranoid, drug induced craziness, you might enjoy the film, but I didn't find it very interesting. However, I would recommend watching it to check out the rotoscoping animation which required 500 hours of work to create 1 minute of animation - impressive.

Rating: 2.5 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Keanu Reeves, Robert Downey, Jr., Woody Harrelson, Winona Ryder

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: