Monday, January 29, 2007

Pulse - ACE Train Movie Review

A doorway between the human realm and the spiritual realm has been opened, and now the technology that once made humankind the ruler of the planet has become its digital Achilles heel. With every call made and every e-mail checked, life is slowly being stolen from the living and claimed for the dead. With no way of turning off the connection and no means of reasoning with a force they cannot understand, a desperate group of college students must discover a means of stopping the takeover before the entire planet is transformed into a cosmic haunting ground for wayward souls in search of a home.

It's difficult to make a good horror film and this is the perfect example of a great idea, but bad execution. The thought of evil spirits using the information superhighway as their literal highway to wreak havoc on humanity is a good plot for a horror film. However, there has to be some substance (i.e. multiple plotlines and/or deep characters) to round out the movie. Instead, the monsters start attacking the characters without developing the characters enough to really make the audience care about the fact they're being knocked off. Also, the movie is full of horror film cliches like "I'll go break into the the apartment of the guy who just killed himself, by myself - I'm sure nothing bad will happen" and "I'll walk TOWARD the books flying off the shelf at the library - I'm sure they just dropped by themselves." So, take that, add a sucky ending, throw in a pinch of "not scary" and you have the recipe for a horror film disaster.

Rating: 1 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Kristen Bell, Rick Gonzalez, Zach Grenier



I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: