Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Lords of Dogtown - Movie Review

Based on a true story about the kids who popularized modern skateboard culture. In the early 70s, skateboards were seen as a dying fad, but a group kids from Venice, CA who hung out at the Zephyr Surf Shop started to change that. They took the surfing moves they learned in the ocean and translated them into skateboard tricks. They also started to skate in empty pools taking advantage of their smooth surfaces and employing vertical tricks and edge flips. The kids quickly generated lots of buzz and became local celebrities and later, nationwide skating stars.

Being a recreational skateboarder when I was a kid, I found this movie very interesting especially since I don't know much about the history of skateboarding. This was a nice lesson on how skateboarding took off. It was also a lesson on how, when things take off, egos often follow suit and "funness" begins to diminish once the business aspect becomes the focus. While I really liked the film, I would have liked to seen more footage of the actual skateboarders as a bonus feature - they all had bit parts in the film and were used as consultants. Oh well, it's still worth a look.

Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Heath Ledger, Emile Hirsch, Victor Rasuk, John Robinson

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: