Monday, October 03, 2005

The Motorcycle Diaries - ACE Train Movie Review

A true story of a 23-year-old medical student from Argentina, Ernesto "Che" Guevara, who traveled across South America on a motorcycle with his friend Alberto Granado in the early 1950s. The duo has a series of adventures that vary from the suspenseful (stowing away on a cargo ship, exploring Incan ruins) to the comedic (falling off their bikes, wooing women, drunken revelry) to the serious (volunteering at a leper colony). This was a personal odyssey which would ultimately inspire Che Guevara to become a revolutionary who had a profound impact on the history of several nations.

This is one of those independent films that won a bunch of awards, so I wasn't sure I would like it. Also, it is in Spanish with English subtitles, so I was even more leery. However, I was pleasantly surprised and found it to be pretty interesting, entertaining, educational and inspiring. Also, the fact it was based on a true story helped hold my interest. My only regret is that I didn't know much about the background of the main characters in the film before watching it; I pulled it off the shelf at Blockbuster. If I had the time, I would have read a little about Che Guevara to know the impact he had prior to watching this film about his early years and the journey that shaped his political views.

Rating: 3 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: Yes
Starring: Gael GarcĂ­a Bernal, Rodrigo de la Serna

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: