Sunday, October 30, 2005

Oldboy - Movie Review

A husband and father who is known for womanizing finds himself locked up in a prison cell with no idea what his crime is or who his captors might be. With a small TV his only link to the outside world, he struggles to keep his mind intact especially after learning his wife was murdered. He begins a long process of trying to dig an escape tunnel with a pair of chopsticks, but before he can finish (15 years later), he is released with no explanation. He is given a cell phone and a wad of money and starts his mission of trying to figure out who (and why) is responsible for locking him up so he can exact his revenge.

This is a Korean film that is overdubbed in English, so their mouths aren't moving at the same time that the words are being said. I thought that might bug me, but this movie is so good that I was concentrating on figuring out the plot instead. The first 30 minutes are pretty confusing, but if you stick with it, your questions will slowly be answered. There are some pretty graphic scenes, but they don't last very long and are necessary for the plot. The ending is completely unexpected and brings all the strange happenings into focus and answers all your questions. I love movies that make you think and surprise you in the end, so this was a good one.

Rating: 4 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: Yes
Starring: Choi Min-Sik, Gang Hye-jeong

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: