Monday, June 26, 2006

The Brother's Grimm - ACE Train Movie Review

Will Grimm and his brother Jake Grimm earn their living by traveling from village to village and vanquishing strange supernatural beasts that have been menacing the populace. Or at least that's what their clients think has been happening; as it happens, Will and Jake are con men who cleverly stage the ghostly attacks and then take payment for making the creatures they fabricated go away. One day, the brothers arrive in a town and offer to help its people drive away evil spirits, unaware that the community is bordered by a genuine enchanted forest, and that young girls in the village have been disappearing at a frightful rate. The Grimm Brothers must now learn how to deal with real magic, with the help of the lovely but fearless Angelika.

This film was cleverly put together, but requires that you know all of the major fairy tales in order to catch the subtle (and not so subtle) nuances. I'm not well versed in the fairy tale realm, so I'm sure I missed some things. Despite that, there was some action, romance, trickery and even mildly funny comedy. However, it was pretty dark, drab and I wasn't engrossed in the film at all, so I was happy to see it end. Overall, I would skip this one unless you're a fairy tale fiend.

Rating: 2 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Matt Damon, Heath Ledger, Monica Bellucci

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This movie totally blew. It felt like it was all over the map and didn't make much sense.

I don't even want to waste any more time writing the review on this film.

Rating: 1.5 of 5