Monday, June 19, 2006

London - Movie Review

Syd awakes from the latest in a long series of drug and booze fueled benders when he receives a phone call from a friend informing him that London, who recently broke up with Syd, will be moving away from New York for California with her new boyfriend in a few days, and that a going-away party is being thrown for her that evening. Syd hasn't been invited to the bash, but he decides to attend anyway, and brings along Bateman, a bartender who moonlights as a cocaine dealer. Bateman is carrying a large supply of nose candy, and after arriving at the party he and Syd install themselves in the bathroom, where they snort line after line while guzzling tequila and discussing philosophical matters regarding love, sex, and emotional pain. The private party-within-a-party is soon joined by Maya and Mallory, who share cocaine and sympathy with the guys until Syd learns that London has arrived, and he decides it's time to confront her.

What a strange movie. The majority of the film took place in the bathroom. I suppose this could be a cautionary tale of drug abuse or a story about how love transcends all or maybe even a psychological drama about how your actions in the past might come back to haunt you. I thought the acting was pretty good (although I kept picturing Jason Statham as the Transporter), but the story was a bit confusing and seemed to take too long to get to the point. I will say that I gave it a little ratings boost just because I liked the ending; not exactly predictable, but a little abrupt. Overall, I would skip this one unless you like Jessica Biel (although she doesn't have much screen time) or like watching an enormous amount of cocaine being consumed.

Rating: 2.5 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Chris Evans, Jessica Biel, Jason Statham

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: