Monday, June 05, 2006

The River King - ACE Train Movie Review

The body of a prep school student has been discovered in a nearby river, and though the death was originally listed as a suicide one detective believes that it may have actually been the result of a fraternity hazing gone awry. Detective Abel Grey isn't willing to write off the case as a suicide just yet, and with a little help from sympathetic teacher Betsy Chase he hopes to uncover the truth behind the mysterious and untimely death. As a series of elusive clues lead Detective Grey ever closer to the truth, he is forced to confront not only the increasingly complex facts in the case of the student death, but his own repressed emotions related to the suicide of his older brother years earlier as well.

This film was listed under the Mystery & Suspense and Horror categories, but the mystery turns out to be no mystery at all and the suspense is waiting for the non-mystery to be solved - horror? Not a chance. The setting had the potential to be horrific and mysterious, but the execution proved far from it. It turned out to be a pretty uneventful film that ended with me scratching my head wondering what the point was. Needless to say, I was very disappointed in a film that started with lots of potential, but went downhill from there.

Rating: 2 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Edward Burns, Jennifer Ehle

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: