Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Cold Mountain - ACE Train Movie Review

Ada Monroe is a proper lady who accompanies her preacher father to Cold Mountain, North Carolina during the dawn of the Civil War. She waits for her love, W.P. Inman - a sensitive man with little use for many words - to return from war. In the process she learns basic survival skills and finds strength from no-nonsense Ruby, a spitfire who can work the land as well as any man. Meanwhile, wounded Inman has had enough of war and killing, and is slowly working his way back to Ada despite the perils of being a Confederate deserter.

Wow, for an epic (2.5 hrs) this is a very good film that kept my attention most of the time. It had its share of action, drama, romance, violence and suspense. I thought all of the actors did an excellent job "becoming" characters from the Civil War era. Jude Law was grittier than I have ever seen him, Nicole Kidman was a believable southern belle and Renee Zellweger didn't make me want to barf with her scrunchy face; she actually played a very tough, yet likeable character. There were majestic settings, gruesome punishments, cold-blooded killings, feel-good moments, nail-biting escapes and even some light-hearted fun. In other words, this movie has something for everyone. If you have a few hours and want to go through a roller coaster of emotions, take a look.

Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Jude Law, Nicole Kidman, Renee Zellweger, Eileen Atkins, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Natalie Portman, Donald Sutherland

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: