Monday, February 05, 2007

Employee of the Month - ACE Train Movie Review

Zack Bradley and Vince Downey have been working at the cavernous Super Club for ten years and counting, but while the ambitious Vince has advanced to the position of head cashier and landed 17 consecutive "E of M" awards, laid-back Zack is content to simply sit back and enjoy the company of his fellow box boys. Longtime rivals whose conflicting attitudes as to what constitutes success has led to more than a few conflicts, Vince and Zack find their bitter battle for Super Club supremacy coming to a head when attractive new employee Amy transfers over from another store. When word quickly spreads that Amy only has eyes for the cream of the crop, slacker Zack attempts to clean up his act and break free from his box boy roots while uptight Vince tries to impress by maintaining his top dog position and keep cool in the face of competition.

Yes, the plot sounds dumb and Jessica Simpson is one of the main characters, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. And judging by my rating, you can see what my expectations were. There were actually some very funny scenes. Now, I'll be clear and say that in no way was this a good movie, but it was entertaining. I like Dane Cook and he puts on a good performance although it's not the over-the-top, physical humor I'm used to seeing him do on comedy specials - he's controlled and sticks to the character. Andy Dick isn't as annoying as he usually is and Jessica Simpson isn't really one of the main characters, so she doesn't have much time to be annoying. If you're in the mood for a silly comedy, this should foot the bill.

Rating: 2.5 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Dane Cook, Jessica Simpson, Dax Shepard, Andy Dick, Harland Williams, Tim Bagley



I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: