Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Take the Lead - ACE Train Movie Review

Pierre Dulaine is a prize-winning ballroom dancer and instructor from Manhattan who volunteers his services to a high school in one of the roughest neighborhoods in the Bronx. Principal Augustine James in turn gives Dulaine a tough assignment - a detention class with some of the biggest troublemakers on campus. When the kids learn that Dulaine intends to teach them how to dance in the classic style, they're incredulous at best and dismissive at worst - until Dulaine demonstrates his moves for the class. While Dulaine's charges - including Rock, LaRhette, Ramos, Eddie, and Sasha - respect his talent, they have their own way of dancing, and as they mix hip-hop moves with ballroom discipline, they create an exciting new style. Dulaine also strives to instill self-confidence and a work ethic in his kids, insisting they can make their way out of the ghetto if they're willing to try.

I wasn't sure what to expect with this film, but I had fairly high hopes since it was based on a true story and reminded me a little of "Dangerous Minds" (true story of a teacher making a difference with inner-city kids). However, while it was an uplifting story, it wasn't as fun to watch as I had hoped. The plot was completely predictable and a little goofy and over the top at times (hip-hop dancing at a ballroom dancing competition, seriously?) Anyway, the dancing was pretty good once the students improved, but was a little hard to watch at the beginning. Antonio Banderas did a good job portraying Pierre Dulaine - there's a nice story of the real person in the special features. Overall, I think I would have liked the movie better had it been a documentary.

Rating: 3 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Antonio Banderas, Rob Brown, Yaya DeCosta


I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: