Monday, September 26, 2005

The Longest Yard - ACE Train Movie Review

A former professional football player who has a drinking problem takes his wife's Bentley and, after a high speed police chase, crashes it into a sea of police cars. He is sentenced to a prison where the warden is a football fan and has organized a football team made up of prison guards. To give the guards more practice, the warden convinces the former pro to organize a team of inmates and to play a scrimmage. The inmates he recruits are some of the fiercest characters who have a bone to pick with the guards and would get great pleasure out of inflicting pain on the football field.

I never saw the original film, so I can't compare the two. However, on its own, I wasn't very impressed and wonder why they remade what was apparently a classic. I like Adam Sandler and am usually a fan of his comedy, but I didn't find this movie particularly funny. There were a few funny parts, but it was mostly silly, dumb humor (yes, dumber than Sandler's other films =). There was some good action and plenty of hits on the football field, but I can't say there were any surprises or suspense. I also thought it was unnecessary to have so many "celebrities" in the film, but maybe the filmmakers thought it would distract people enough to like the film. I might have to watch the original to see why it was considered a classic, because I don't see anything classic about this movie.

Rating: 2.5 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Adam Sandler, Chris Rock, Burt Reynolds, Nelly, James Cromwell, Michael Irvin, Bill Romanowski, Bill Goldberg, Brian Bosworth, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, Chris Berman

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: