Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - ACE Train Movie Review

Tim Burton's remake of the book made famous by the 1971 classic movie, "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory." A secretive owner of a wildly successful candy company decides to give 5 children a chance to tour his factory which is closed to visitors. By placing 5 golden tickets in randomly selected candy bars, the recluse captures the imagination of all kids including Charlie, a kid from a poor family who lives in the shadows of the factory and is lucky enough to find one of the tickets. While touring the fantasy-filled factory, some of the 5 kids learn tough lessons and one will become the apprentice.

I generally enjoy Tim Burton's films and I think Johnny Depp is a great actor. However, I don't think this was the right film for either to be involved in. Burton's version of this classic is a little too dark and Depp was too creepy and Michael Jackson-esque. Of course, while I was watching it, I was comparing it to the original film, so this isn't a totally objective review since I loved the original and it would have taken a lot to live up to that standard. The music was much better in the original and the inside of the factory was more awe-inspiring in the original as well. I also didn't like the fact that one guy played the part of every Oompa Loompa inside the factory...lame. With the technology available today, I just think they could have created a truly jaw-dropping film about a candy factory that kids would dream about. Instead, I'll have to watch the original film again to satisfy my sweet tooth.

Rating: 2 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Johnny Depp, Freddie Highmore, David Kelly, Deep Roy

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: