Monday, November 28, 2005

Melinda and Melinda - ACE Train Movie Review

A group of friends are having dinner when two of them begin to argue about whether a story about a woman with some serious problems in her life can be viewed as a comedy or a tragic drama depending on the way certain elements are handled. The rest of the film switches between the two versions. Both versions are about a woman who's down on her luck, lost her husband, lost custody of her kids and her friends try to set her up with a man. While the tragic version continues to go down hill, the comedy has humorous twists and turns finishing with a big surprise.

I'm not a big Woody Allen fan and usually think his movies are a little on the strange side, but I must say that the concept for this film was very original and intriguing. It was imaginative to tell the same story, but from two different perspectives since it's true that people can view the same situation many different ways. With that being said, I felt that the comedic version wasn't as funny as it could have been so the two versions weren't as different as they should have been. Oh well, I give him points for trying something original. It definitely had the Woody Allen oddness to it, but I enjoyed the film and would recommend it to anyone looking for something different.

Rating: 3 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Will Ferrell, Amanda Peet, Chloe Sevigny, Chiwetel Ejiofor

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: