Friday, March 31, 2006

House of Sand and Fog - Movie Review

Massoud Amir Behrani is an Iranian immigrant living the United States. Even though he was a high-ranking official in Iran, he works several menial jobs in order to provide his wife and son, with an apartment in California. He buys a California bungalow, thinking he can fix it up, sell it again, and make enough money to send his son to college. However, the house is the legal property of former drug addict Kathy. After losing the house in an unfair legal dispute with the county, she is left with nowhere to go. Wanting her house back, she hires a lawyer and befriends a police officer. Neither Kathy nor Behrani have broken the law, so they find themselves involved in a difficult moral dilemma.

Once again, my expectations were greater than what the movie delivered. With the setting of a fog enveloped house, a bitter woman who felt betrayed by the county bureaucrats and a cop with questionable morals, I felt the table was set for some explosive drama. However, what I got was a relatively mellow story of a foreign family trying to adjust to life in a new land while locked in a battle over the ownership of their house, which is also their investment for the future. I kept waiting for the fireworks that never came and the ending left me unsatisfied. Apparently, I failed to appreciate the moral struggle, but I wanted some entertaining action.

Rating: 2.5 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Jennifer Connelly, Ben Kingsley, Ron Eldard, Shohreh Aghdashloo

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: