Sunday, March 12, 2006

Jarhead - Movie Review

Anthony Swofford decides to join the Marines, just like his father and his father before him, and signs on just in time to be sent to Iraq to fight in the Gulf War in 1991. After experiencing the rigors of boot camp, Swofford and his pal Troy are trained to be snipers and the two land in the middle of a desert where they're up against an enemy they can't always see under a blazing sun with hours of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror. Swofford, Troy, and their fellow soldiers rely on the wits, their sense of humor, and their friendship of their brothers in arms to deal with a situation that doesn't much resemble what they saw on television at home.

The entire time I was watching this film, I was waiting for something to happen - it never did. I thought this was going to be a movie about war and that there would be lots of gunfire and explosions - I was wrong. I suppose this movie was a closer representation of what most soldiers experience during a war - training, waiting and being bored. Of course, that makes for a boring film which is what it turned out to be.

Rating: 2.5 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Peter Sarsgaard, Jamie Foxx

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: