Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Stay - ACE Train Movie Review

Sam Foster is a psychiatrist living in New York City with his girlfriend, Lila Culpepper, who was once one of his patients. However, it's another one of his patients who becomes the focus of his obsessions when Henry Letham, a disturbed young man whom Foster took over from a colleague, announces during a session that he intends to commit suicide in three days, on his 21st birthday. Sam takes the threat quite seriously and tries to track down Henry, who seems to have disappeared. Sam speaks to a number of Henry's friends and acquaintances - his mother, the man he claimed was his father, a waitress who regularly served Henry at the coffee shop where she works, and his former therapist. As Sam talks to people in Henry's circle, he finds he's learning more about himself than the man he's supposed to save, and he begins to drift into an emotional netherworld where the supposedly dead and the living cross paths.

Crazy, confusing, thought provoking - those are just a few adjectives that come to mind after watching this film. The entire film was confusing and even after watching it through to the end, I'm still not sure I have it all figured out. The way that this film was shot was very original and the transition between scenes was extremely creative. I'll definitely have to watch it again since it was so packed with imagery and information that I'm sure I missed a bunch. A big reason I gave it a relatively good rating was really based on the fact that this film was just so artistic and innovative. I would recommend it if you're in the mood for a film that doesn't lay all the answers out for you, but instead relies on your own imagination.

Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: Yes
Starring: Ewan McGregor, Naomi Watts, Ryan Gosling, Janeane Garofalo

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: