Monday, March 20, 2006

Rent - ACE Train Movie Review

This film adaptation of the Broadway musical follows a year in the lives of seven friends living the disappearing Bohemian lifestyle in New York's East Village. AIDS and both its physical and emotional complications pervade the lives of Roger, Mimi, Tom, and Angel; Maureen deals with her chronic infidelity through performance art; her partner, Joanne, wonders if their relationship is worth the trouble; Benjamin has sold out his Bohemian ideals in exchange for a hefty income and is on the outs with his former friends; and Mark, an aspiring filmmaker, feels like an outsider to life in general, always behind the camera recording the events but never playing a part.

I haven't seen very many musicals, so I can't make a fair comparison to others. That being said, as a movie, I found it to be very enjoyable. The music performances were entertaining, the actors were top notch and the story that was told was pretty intense. Some of the topics included homosexuality, AIDS, socioeconomic struggles between the classes and infidelity. Even with all of those seemingly glum topics, the movie as a whole was upbeat and inspirational. The overall message was to not dwell on the negative, but focus on the positive and live life to the fullest. After having seen the film, I wouldn't mind checking out the live musical as I've been walking around with the songs running through my head - catchy little buggers. On the bright side, I can add to my useless set of knowledge since I'll never forget how many minutes there are in a year...

Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: Yes
Starring: Anthony Rapp, Adam Pascal, Rosario Dawson, Jesse L. Martin, Wilson Jermaine Heredia, Idina Menzel, Tracie Thoms, Taye Diggs

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: