Friday, March 24, 2006

Prime - Movie Review

Rafi Gardet is a woman in her mid-thirties who has recently gone through a messy divorce. Rafi has been seeing an analyst, Lisa Metzger, as she struggles to get back on her feet emotionally and look for new love. Rafi meets a man named David Bloomberg, and the two quickly hit it off, but Rafi isn't sure if she should pursue the relationship, since David is only 23 years old. After discussing the burgeoning romance during one of their weekly sessions, Lisa urges Rafi to take a plunge with David, and not be afraid to seek out the companionship she needs. However, there's something about David that Lisa doesn't know - he's her son. Rafi doesn't know that Lisa is David's mother, either, and both psychiatrist and patient are thrown for a loop when they learn the truth.

I watched this movie with low expectations since most romantic comedies are a little too cheesy for my taste. I was pleasantly surprised find this film had an original premise. It was light on corny, "romantic" moments and heavy on funny and awkward situations that made me laugh and squirm. The actors all seemed to work well together and had great chemistry on screen. The supporting characters really added to the "realness" of the film and weren't just filler. The best part was the ending - not the typical ending for a movie of this category.

Rating: 3 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Meryl Streep, Uma Thurman, Bryan Greenberg

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: