Friday, April 07, 2006

Brokeback Mountain - ACE Train Movie Review

Two young cowboys, Jack Twist and Ennis Del Mar are hired to corral sheep on Brokeback Mountain in Wyoming and they soon bond very closely. Their platonic relationship explodes into a physical one, but eventually the two are separated when their job comes to an end. Although the two follow different life paths - one becoming a father of two and the other marrying into a successful business - they have a reunion years later. Each is affected profoundly by the rekindling of their old feelings for each other. Those feelings lead each to consider what continuing their hidden relationship would cost them.

This was not my kind of movie. It was basically a love story about two gay cowboys who lived in a time (1960s) when being gay was very taboo - even more so than now. I'm not a homophobe, so my issue wasn't with the fact that it was about gays - I just felt it was an awkward film (if the main characters were a man and a woman, I would have rated it even lower). It was a very slow moving movie and, even though it spanned more than 20 years, not a whole lot really happened. The actors seemed uncomfortable, which might have been on purpose, but it was disquieting to watch. I give the filmmakers credit for taking on a controversial topic, but I didn't see what all the hype was about. I actually rated it higher than I probably would have if I weren't influenced by all of the Oscar buzz and the fact that Shawnna said she would have rated it a 4. Maybe I missed the point, but I wasn't entertained and/or enlightened by watching this film.

Rating: 3 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Heath Ledger, Jake Gyllenhaal, Randy Quaid, Anne Hathaway, Michelle Williams

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: