Monday, April 24, 2006

Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price - ACE Train Movie Review

Wal-Mart has become one of America's most successful retail chains by offering everyday goods at low prices for working families. But just how is Wal-Mart able to charge less than many of their rivals, and what has their success done for their employees? Documentary filmmaker Robert Greenwald takes a look inside the discount retailer's empire in Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price, and discovers a company short on scruples and long on shabby treatment of the people who work for them. Through interviews with labor experts and former Wal-Mart employees, Greenwald documents the firm's anti-union tactics, their history of paying wages often below the poverty line, the high price they charge for health benefits, their methods for driving away locally owned businesses, their practice of hiring illegal aliens for cleanup crews at a fraction of minimum wage, the abysmal working conditions and pay in the Third World plants where much of Wal-Mart's goods are manufactured, and more.

Even thought this was an obvious anti-Wal-Mart documentary, I was hoping for a more balanced view. The entire film was basically a big bashing of all things Wal-Mart. At the very least, I was hoping for evidence to be shown in support of all the negative statements made toward their business practices and against the Walton family. However, it was just one slam after another will little evidence to back it up. The points that were made seemed to be well thought out and researched, but without the other point of view, I'll have to research Wal-Mart's point of view if I really want to have an informed opinion of Wal-Mart. I will say, the case against Wal-Mart seems pretty strong, but I never shop there anyway - decide for yourself.

Rating: 2.5 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Nobody in particular

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: