Monday, April 03, 2006

Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit - ACE Train Movie Review

Wallace and Gromit have launched a new business venture just in time for a major gardening competition in their neighborhood of West Wallaby. "Anti-Pesto" is a humane pest-relocation service in which Wallace and Gromit capture rabbits and other critters who have been eating the produce from local gardens and give them new homes somewhere else. Business has been going well, and when the woman hosting the garden show, Lady Tottington discovers a massive rabbit has been making a mess of her garden, she calls in Wallace to stop the beast. Wallace is quite taken with Lady Tottington, but he's not the only one - Victor Quartermaine is a slick but arrogant upper-class type who wants to win Lady Tottington's hand, and is convinced he can do a better job capturing the rabbit than Wallace. However, Wallace and his faithful friend Gromit discover there's more to Quartermaine than he's letting on.

This won an Oscar for Best Animated Feature? Must have been a slow year - it was up against Corpse Bride and while neither were masterpieces, I enjoyed Corpse Bride a little more. I have never seen a Wallace & Gromit cartoon before, so I didn't know what to expect. It was very nicely animated and some parts were humorous, but it was very "British English" so I'm sure some of the more subtle jokes went over my head. For a movie that was rated G, there were a couple of jokes that seemed more adult - i.e Wallace holding up a cardboard box to cover his naked body and there's a sticker on the box that says "might contain nuts" - bollocks... Anyway, it's mostly light and fluffy, the story is probably best suited for kids and I'm glad it was less than 90 minutes long.

Rating: 2.5 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Voices of Peter Sallis, Helena Bonham-Carter, Ralph Fiennes

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: