Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Match Point - ACE Train Movie Review

Chris Wilton is a tennis player who was just good enough to make his way onto the professional circuit, but not good enough to be a consistent winner. Looking for a more stable career, Chris is hired on as a resident professional at an exclusive tennis club by Tom Hewett, who is as impressed by his charm and good looks as he is by his game. Chris's intelligence and wit also make a strong impression on Tom's pretty sister, Chloe, who soon falls for him. It isn't long before Chris and Chloe are engaged to be married, a match that pleases both Tom and his father, Alec, a successful businessman who believes Chris has a bright future in his firm. However, Chris has also caught the eye of Nola Rice, a sexy blonde from the United States who is dating Tom. Nola makes no secret of her attraction to Chris, and he can't help but be drawn to her; the two quickly begin an affair, even as Chris and Chloe plan their wedding. Chris thinks good fortune has come his way when Nola drops out of his life shortly before his wedding, but a chance meeting a few months later brings Nola back into his life as he and Chloe try to start a family.

First off, I'll admit that I'm not a big fan of Woody Allen and usually find his films a little too odd and not really my style. I wasn't even planning on watching this film, but picked it up on a whim. Anyway, I was very surprised and impressed that I thoroughly enjoyed it. The plot was deep, dramatic, suspenseful, easy to follow and best of all, engrossing. I was totally drawn into the story and was on edge waiting to see how everything played out. The actors were terrific and it didn't hurt that Scarlett Johansson is easy on the eyes. I would recommend giving this film a chance, even if you don't particularly like Woody Allen's style since this was probably the least "Woody Allen" of all his films :-)

Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Scarlett Johansson, Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, Emily Mortimer, Matthew Goode

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: