Monday, April 17, 2006

Proof - ACE Train Movie Review

Catherine is a woman in her late twenties who is strongly devoted to her father, Robert, a brilliant and well-known mathematician. While Robert's skill in the world of numbers still appears to be strong, his grip on reality begins to slip away, and as Robert descends into madness, Catherine begins to wonder if she may have inherited her father's mental illness along with his mathematical genius. After Robert's passing, Catherine is confronted by Hal, a gifted but zealous student of Robert's who wants to look through the late man's notes in hopes of finding his last great work. While Catherine is hesitant to look too deeply into her father's work for fear of what it might suggest about her own future, she allows Hal to do so, and when one notebook reveals a mathematical proof of potentially historic proportions, it sets off shock waves in more ways than one.

Boooorrrrring... I thought it sounded like an interesting plot and the fact that Anthony Hopkins was in it raised my expectations even more. What I got was a very slow moving, uninteresting, bore of a movie. The entire film had a depressing feel to it that became tiring fairly quickly. Looking back, I should have known that a movie featuring mathematicians wasn't going to keep me on the edge of my seat. Oh well, just because I wasted my time doesn't mean you have to.

Rating: 2 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Gwyneth Paltrow, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anthony Hopkins, Hope Davis

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: