Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The Da Vinci Code - ACE Train Movie Review

The stately silence of Paris' Louvre museum is broken when one of the gallery's leading curators is found dead on the grounds, with strange symbols carved into his body and left around the spot where he died. Hoping to learn the significance of the symbols, police bring in Sophie Neveu, a gifted cryptographer who is also the victim's granddaughter. Needing help, Sophie calls on Robert Langdon, a leading symbologist from the United States. As Sophie and Robert dig deeper into the case, they discover the victim's involvement in the Priory of Sion, a secret society whose members have been privy to forbidden knowledge dating back to the birth of Christianity. In their search, Sophie and Robert happen upon evidence that could lead to the final resting place of the Holy Grail, while members of the priory and an underground Catholic society known as Opus Dei give chase, determined to prevent them from sharing their greatest secrets with the world.

I always hear people say that movies based on books are rarely ever as good as the books they are based on. This film holds true to that line of thinking as the book was amazing, while the movie was "just" very good. I don't know how my opinion of the film would have changed if I hadn't read the book first, but the book was so descriptive that I was able to visualize everything that was happening and compared it to what I saw on the screen. It was pretty close to what I had imagined while reading the book, but they had to leave some things out or it would have been a 6 hour movie. On its own, the film was full of action, suspense and controversial theories - plenty to keep my interest for the full 2.5 hours. I'm not sure if Tom Hanks was the perfect Robert Langdon, but he got the job done. With all of the hype surrounding this movie, I don't think it could have met the high expectations, but it certainly came pretty close.

Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: Yes
Starring: Tom Hanks, Audrey Tautou, Ian McKellen, Jean Reno

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: