Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Wordplay - Movie Review

For 12 years, the name Will Shortz has been indelibly linked to the wildly popular New York Times crossword puzzle. As filmmakers speak with Shortz and the puzzle constructors with whom he collaborates, viewers are treated to a rare look into the minds of the people whose intellect entertains a nation of puzzle-solvers on a weekly basis. Interviews with a variety of celebrity crossword-puzzle enthusiasts including Bill Clinton, Indigo Girls, and Jon Stewart are also included, and a trip to the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament - an annual event founded by Shortz himself - offers an entertaining look at a world where the brain power and colorful personalities of contestants combine to create a lively atmosphere of friendly competition.

I'll start off by saying that this documentary is not for everyone. If you've never done a crossword puzzle, don't care about crossword puzzles and think only dorks do crossword puzzles, don't bother watching this film as you will most likely be bored. However, there is a big element of competition and suspense that kept my interest the entire time and it was interesting to see who creates crossword puzzles and how they do it. The crossword contestants had quirky and intriguing personalities and, by the end, I found myself pulling for a couple of them to win the tournament and now I have a hankerin' to do a puzzle myself - although, I'd be happy to just finish, let alone do it under 3 minutes.

Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Will Shortz, Jon Stewart, Bill Clinton, Indigo Girls

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: