Wednesday, November 29, 2006

United 93 - ACE Train Movie Review

Told in real time and acted out by a cast of unknowns who were provided with detailed studies of their real-life counterparts, United 93 attempts to reconstruct the airborne tragedy from the view of the ground and flight controllers, the passengers, and their nervous families awaiting word on the fate of their loved ones. As the terrified travelers and crew gradually become aware of the historical events taking place on the ground so far beneath them, the 90 minutes in which a random collection of strangers realized their fate and came together to confront an unthinkable threat are re-created.

This was a tough movie to watch. Since it was obviously based on a true story that we all remember well, it brought back the emotions I felt that day and made it even more personal since I was now flying in the airplane with a group of people who died that day. Given the sensitive subject, it was done as well as it possibly could have been done since the actors met with the families of the passengers they were portraying to get a sense of what the real people were like. Even though I knew the end of the story, I still found myself rooting for the passengers to overpower the terrorists and safely land the plane. It gave me a new insight into what really happened that day and re-emphasized the courage the passengers on that plane displayed during a time of unbelievable terror. I can't imagine what I would do in that situation, but I hope I could be as brave as they were.

Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Richard Bekins, Christian Clemenson, Ben Sliney

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For lack of a better term, this movie was awesome. The subject matter was not pleasant, but what a well made film.

It was nice not having any big-time actors in this one. It made all the characters seem more real that way. This was a tough movie to watch, but I felt a necessary one. The makers used as much class in the making of this movie as they could, without changing the horror that September 11th truly brought into our homes.

Rating: 4 of 5. I originally saw this in the theater and recently re-watched it on HBO. It was just as good the second time, and continues to be a good reminder of what happened that day. This is a must-watch movie at least once.