Sunday, November 05, 2006

Edmond - Movie Review

Edmond Burke is on his way home from work one evening when he impulsively stops to have his fortune read by a woman who informs him, "You are not where you belong." When he does arrive home, Edmond soon falls into an argument with his wife, and he storms out into the city, where he stops at a bar for a few drinks. There, Edmond finds himself talking with a man who freely shares his racist views about the role of African-Americans in society, and suddenly Edmond begins letting go of the sense of self-control that has always governed his actions. After a crawl through the city's underbelly of watering holes, strip clubs, gambling dens, and brothels, Edmond comes face to face with the violence of this world, and unexpectedly finds himself responding in kind.

This was a very odd, yet intriguing movie. After finishing it, I'm not sure I really get the point of the film. It definitely had an independent film feel with the amateurish dialog and confusing, seemingly pointless scenes. William H. Macy was great as always and this was certainly a new type of role for him - he sure looks a lot different as a bald prisoner. In the end, though, it was just a little too strange and unpolished for my taste.

Rating: 2 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: William H. Macy, Joe Mantegna, Mena Suvari, Julia Stiles, Denise Richards

I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: