Friday, March 23, 2007

All the King's Men - ACE Train Movie Review

Willie Stark is a man of the people, and for the people; at least that's what he tells the people. Propelled into a race for governor by opposing forces looking to split the "hick vote," Stark is convinced by a handler - as well as by young journalist Jack Burden - to not pander to the powers that be. His rhetoric grows fiery, and he makes his way into office on a not-so-solid foundation of social-service promises. When idealism gives way to the harsh realities of the time, however, the fast-talking politico is quick to discover just how far one can fall when ambition and power lead to a betrayal of one's original motivations.

Booorrring! It's not that this was a particularly bad movie, the topic was just not interesting to me. The actors did a great job, but the story was dull and slow to progress. Sean Penn's character was quite an eccentric individual and stirred up a lot of drama, but not enough to make the movie engaging. Politics isn't something that I think of as exciting, so sitting through a 2 hour movie about a Louisiana political rivalry probably wasn't the best thing I could have done. That being said, it actually started getting a little interesting toward the end, but then it ended.

Rating: 2 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Sean Penn, Jude Law, Kate Winslet, Mark Ruffalo, James Gandolfini


I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: