Thursday, March 08, 2007

Hollywoodland - ACE Train Movie Review

George Reeves was a journeyman actor who had played a small role in Gone With The Wind and appeared on screen with the likes of James Cagney, Rita Hayworth and Marlene Dietrich, but his career was not exactly booming when he was cast as comic book hero Superman in a 1951 B-movie, Superman and the Mole Men. A year later, the producers of the movie launched a syndicated Superman television series with Reeves returning as the Man of Steel. The show became a major hit, and Reeves was a star at last. However, on June 16, 1959, to the shock of many, Reeves was found dead of a gunshot wound. Police soon declared Reeves' death a suicide and closed the case, but his mother refused to believe her son took his own life, and hired Louis Simo, a private detective, to find out the truth about her son's passing.

I had high hopes for this film since I like movies based on true events and this seemed like a juicy event that could have made for a great film. However, it ended up being a big dud. The pace of the movie was so slow that I found myself losing interest and had a hard time getting sucked into the plot. Adrien Brody and Ben Affleck were OK in their roles, but I think Diane Lane stole the show. Overall, it was very blah and didn't deliver any really exciting scenes. Furthermore, when a film takes on a true story with debatable events, the filmmakers typically take a stand and present their theory, but this film seemed to present all the different theories which made it a little weak and confusing. You can safely skip this film without missing anything of great quality.

Rating: 2 of 5 stars
Would I watch it again: No
Starring: Adrien Brody, Ben Affleck, Diane Lane


I typically watch movies on Monday, Wednesday and Friday while riding the ACE Train from Tracy to Santa Clara. The opinions expressed are those of me, myself and I.

No comments: